Wednesday, August 03, 2005

I Love Trash (Apparently)

With Super Summer each year comes attention to a theme. As Dean of Khaki School this year, Clay's focus was on trash. And, once decorated, their room looked incredible, I must admit. His team of leaders put together a room that looked like the inside of a garbage can. No inch of the walls or even ceiling, it seemed, was left uncovered by wadded up newspapers, fast food wrappers, soda cans, and other common forms of refuse. Clay's part, in addition to saving newspapers for months in the garage, was to track down a stuffed Oscar the Grouch, which was placed in a silver metal trashcan as the centerpiece for Khaki's meeting room.

Why am I telling you this now? Because once again, after Super Summer ends it becomes MY job to resell Clay's nifty purchase on eBay. With no hope of reclaiming the $25 he spent on the 19" adorable Oscar the Grouch, I am currently watching a 2nd listing (he got zero bids the first go-round) and wishing only that some Oscar freak will decide to search him out and at least offer my starting price of $6.99.

It reminds me of the year of Green School. His theme was "Field of Greens" and he built an entire putting green. To dress in character, he bought green golf pants, a plaid hat, and a green golf vest with the Master's logo on the chest. I can't remember how much that one cost, but it is still in his closet, unsold afterward on eBay because apparently everyone who would wear one of those vests already has it. Or has burned it in the trash....hey...maybe he could have used that vest THIS year....

Oh, don't worry. I asked for his permission to spin this tale.

SJ called a couple of nights ago from Safeco field in Seattle. She wanted to ask Clay if he'd like her to buy him some Ichiro bobblehead dolls. He replied, "Two more ought to take care of college for Abby." And that was a very funny joke, too, because we (and when I say we, I really mean he) bought not one, but TWO when we were there at Safeco during Ichiro's rookie-of-the-year season in 2001, I think it was. It seemed perfectly natural that an Ichiro bobblehead was going to demand 4x the amount paid once listed on eBay...we were smack dab in the middle of bobblehead mania and Ichiro was becoming a star. But, alas, the bobblehead purchase never worked out in our favor. Last time I checked, the same bobblehead couldn't even get a $1 bid. It seems there was an Ichiro bobblehead glut or something.

But I believe that those are our four worst purchases ever, except for some clothes that Clay claims are in my closet and haven't been worn more than once. So I guess I'll just watch for Oscar movement this week, and if someone decides to buy him, maybe I'll just throw in an Ichiro bobblehead doll.


p.s. If you're wondering, I changed my template for a simple reason....because I can. but I don't know why it deleted that last post, "Be thankful in everything, and all that stuff". If you missed it, sorry. but no big, because it wasn't even all that good. Check out my new links (top right)...eventually, if I can really get it together, maybe I can send you to a picture or two.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the pink.
CG

Anonymous said...

im definitely diggin the new look. when i first saw it i thought i had clicked on the wrong link on my favorites! (jjo has the same...) and was like WOW jfer posted for once!