Monday, August 15, 2005

No Gluten, Please

After a horrible flare up last week of whatever it is that I have, I've decided to take matters into my own hands. With the knowledge of my own medical history and a day on the internet, I'm going on a self-imposed gluten free diet. Gluten, in case you're not aware, includes wheat, barley, rye, and oats. These 4 things are apparently found in most EVERYTHING we eat, so this diet is a challenge, to say the least. But I am encouraged, even positive, because if my problem is indeed gluten intolerance, then that explains pretty much all my weird medical oddities over the last several years. The condition is called Celiac and is cured by a gluten-free diet. So if I can stick with it, I should get all better.

Plus, I was on a gf diet during childhood, because I was diagnosed with Celiac at 2. We thought I had outgrown it, because I can eat all that stuff with little to no abdominal symptoms. But it seems that you can have it without those. So here we are, Rice Krispies are my friend and popcorn and white corn tostitos. I have found that I must focus on all the wonderful foods that I can eat, instead of the long list of things that I cannot. Otherwise, I might find myself in a world of discontent, like the Israelites who complained about their daily manna. But, I must admit, I am somewhat saddened over the loss of flour tortillas and the chicken biscuit from Chick-fil-A. Although, I did have a tasty grilled chicken salad there the other day with tortilla strips on top and it was quite delicious. And I shall make Outback Steakhouse my new favorite nice place to eat out, since they provide a lengthy menu with gf choices, even putting the "GF" on the menu beside those menu items.

This really summarizes my last week, which is why I had nothing else to blog except that it was very, very hot. Because I itched, I researched Celiac, and I made trips to the grocery store to buy gluten free items. In the evenings, we swam, played 2 on 2 basketball in the driveway, and drove out to the house...which is ALMOST finished. We're closing next week!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

im interested to know who was on which team in the two on two...

CYNTHIA said...

cynthia and abby vs. clay and brandon

Anonymous said...

We know someone with Celiac and Terri has made a mean gluten free bread. And by "mean" I mean "nasty." I'd rather live without bread, but, then again, my glass is perpetually half empty.

kw

CYNTHIA said...

well i bought a gf bread today at a health food store so i'll let you know if it's mean also. i also bought a gf soy sauce, because i must have my fried rice and gf pancake mix, which i'm not expecting great things from, but you never know.