Friday, August 05, 2005

What a Deal!

a little disappointed that that last post only elicited 2 comments, because that was stinking funny, if I do say so myself. but I'm working through it...

Despite my evil plan to bore the children to tears during the month of August in order that they might joyfully embrace the start of school at the end of the month, we took a trip to Six Flags yesterday. Those awful reading programs that encourage kids to write down their hours during the school year (a minimal standard, by the way, that any child who reads even a little bit can easily accomplish over the assigned lengthy course of time) left us with two free passes that were about to expire this Sunday. So, after Clay left work yesterday, off we went. My only solace was that he also had a free ticket, a gift for "group" leaders, such as ministers to youth. We only had to pay for one ticket (mine), and even that was at a well-discounted rate. Still, after $9 parking, and $36 for an exquisite dinner of chicken strips, fries, a chili cheese dog, a burger, and 4 drinks, the 6-hour adventure cost us ONLY $70! Wow--what a deal. (I know it's hard to detect sarcasm in the written word, so I'll just go ahead and let you know that last statement had lots of it.)

Actually, we did have a good time. It was overcast so we weren't dying of heat and not many of the lines were that long...except, strangely, for the Antique Cars which gave Abby and me a 30 minute wait while Clay and Brandon rode the Texas Giant next door. But all was not lost; I wore my Super Summer t-shirt that says, "Don't Waste Your Life", so those people who cut in front of us at the beginning had something deep and meaningful to consider all 8 times they passed beside us in the snake-like line. Because what else do you do in those lines besides tell your kids to get down off the rails to move ahead every 2 feet and contemplate the t-shirt profundities of every passerby? Unless you are a teenager, of course, in which case you would be looking for your soulmate, I suppose.

Now you know why we chose October for our Disney World vacation. Of the Big 3 Reasons Not to Go (long lines, heat, and overpriced food), we'll only have to work around one....and thanks to mom and dad, we'll have a nice big house with a nice big kitchen in which to eat as many nice big meals as we so choose.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i hate to disappoint you but i wont be able to attend our family get together tomorrow afternoon...on account of volleyball scrimmages in denton. so somebody eat some soft tacos for me! oh oh and some tortillas and queso.....*sigh* have fun!

Anonymous said...

Ok so I know I'm late....but I just wanted to let you know that I have never heard a more accurate discription of Six Flags in my life. Your way with words never ceases to entertain and enlighten me! *brooke*