Monday, June 13, 2005

Rantings of a Quadruped

You might have wondered, "How long CAN a dog continuously bark?" I think I'm going to be able to give you the answer. Most days, we're awakened by this precious neighborhood dog's melodious rantings. However, today he seems extra determined to be heard. We're going on 2 1/2 hours at the moment, with no sign of exhaustion or laryngitis. Now I understand how you could be driven to consider soaking a biscuit in anti-freeze (I won't give up your name here) and tossing it over the fence. [note: don't worry activists and dogmanitarians, I don't think it actually happened. It was more of a pleasant dream I heard about once.]

So, no, I don't think I'll spend my first childless day in the house. Got B and Z off to camp this morning and A left yesterday with grandparents. Z wanted to go see Dallas from the observation deck at Reunion Tower so we ate in the West End and rode the elevator up last night. I kept looking around for A b/c it was really weird---her not being there. But we've already spoken twice and she's having a great time.

Anyway, I'm all done writing for the time being, so if anyone wants to do something fun this week, I'm all yours. Aside from a drs. visit in the big city today and some Welcome Week preparations, I'm footloose and fancy-free.

whoa....it happened again....you remember that "If you blog it, it will come" theory? It sounds as if the dog has just stopped barking. spooky. I think I could probably get on Oprah or something with this newfound ability I seem to have.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just in case the "theory" failed, the water hose works pretty well, and is a little more humane than a antifreeze soaked biscuit. We are surrounded by dogs, and this is our preferred method. Of course, if it is a lab or some other water loving dog, it might not work.
~CG

Anonymous said...

you have definitely arrived...only a magnificent writer could leave me spellbound reading about a dog barking --KJ You ARE the next Rowling

CYNTHIA said...

the water hose is a nice idea, but the dog in question is a few houses over. I'd have to "borrow" the neighbor's hose, and I think that might cause some other problems.