Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Insipid Insights?

Childless evening #2 provided me with so much blog material I don't even know where to begin. We went out to camp to visit Branman, which is a post all on its own, but I have other things on my mind at the moment. Then we went over to Ft. Worth for dinner with L&SA at Rosa's. It was, I might add, almost as wonderful to eat at Rosa's as it was to see our friends. I almost felt like we should push a bunch of tables together for Crestview, but it wasn't a Sunday night and we weren't in Midland. Anyway, our conversation produced so many possible blog topics: dredlocks, stepping in gum, and bug-swallowing incidents just to name a few. I have two such incidents of my own...took a drink from a can of coke once and ended up with a bumblebee in my mouth. Another time, I kept feeling something weird in my ear. My mom put drops in and out crawled a GIANT ant (ok, so I didn't swallow it, but it's still a good story).

But, again, I digress. What affected me the most was a question. We were talking about the blog itself when LA asked, "They're (blogs) supposed to be banal, right?" Now I'm certain he didn't MEAN to offend me, but the question has haunted me since, even causing me to question my very blogistence. I mean, BANAL??? You might need to look it up in your dictionary or at merriamwebster.com so you can know why I'm so distraught. But I can tell you it's not good. Ah well, perhaps he'll find mine not so lacking in originality and freshness and will redefine his opinion.

I'm off to lunch in Waxahachie with MLS. Catch ya' later~

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Adj. 1. banal - obvious and dull; "trivial conversation"; "commonplace prose"
commonplace, trivial
ordinary - not exceptional in any way especially in quality or ability or size or degree; "ordinary everyday objects"; "ordinary decency"; "an ordinary day"; "an ordinary wine"

Perhaps LA had a littl too much "ordinary wine" before he made the observation - he obviously has not read any of The Sharester either.

Conference Speaker

Anonymous said...

My second and last blog-blurb. C has never been banal (meaning ordinary) and the question-comment was not about her. It was philosophical musing about the existential purpose of "a" blog in general and blog-stuff and not "the" or "this" blog. Dewey and C are still the best. C has always been absolutely insightful. Mr. C-speaker, however, needs to come visit me at DBU. Besides we were at Rosa's and it would be cerveza not wine. :-) Signed The Banal One

CYNTHIA said...

whew. i feel much better now. :-)