Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Everything Is Not an Anecdote

I forgot to mention that while we were in the West End, we came upon a young spray-paint artist. Now, I know that probably doesn't sound all that exciting, but it was really incredible. The guy was very young and had quite a crowd watching him as he quickly painted space pictures as a driving beat blared through his jambox. These pictures were so good I don't think I can describe it, but each one took him 5-10 minutes and it seemed as if he was just creating each new scene as he went along. We (incl. S&LsS and fam) were quite impressed, even thinking he should charge more than the $25 per picture he was getting. As we left, Brandon said, "That guy is unnatural." well put. And speaking of Branslam, he got his first homerun on Saturday during his end of season tournment. Yea, Brandon!

Last night Clay and I went to see Mr. and Mrs. Smith. I liked it, but it was sort of weird because there's all this violent killing going on but it's really a comedy. It was strange to laugh, but we did anyway. I think we're going to see Cinderella Man later this week.

yesterday, I went to a drs. appt. near downtown Dallas, then drove across the metroplex almost to Ft. Worth to pick out appliances for the new house, THEN drove down to Sam's in Grand Prairie before heading home. The entire trip, portal to portal, took about 4 hours. (just in case you wanted to know how long that might take a person) I don't know why, but I found that knowledge both informative and interesting. However, a scene from the movie, Planes, Trains, and Automobiles may better express your thoughts at the moment. It's where Steve Martin says to John Candy, "You know everything is not an anecdote. You have to discriminate. You choose things that are funny or mildly amusing or interesting. You're a miracle! Your stories have NONE of that. They're not even amusing ACCIDENTALLY!..........You know... you know when you're telling these little stories? Here's a good idea: have a point. It makes it so much more interesting for the listener!" I have to remind myself of that sometimes.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have no idea about spraypaint dudes in the West End, but I saw a lady with bubblegum on her shoes. I cannot say that she drew a crowd, but she was able to blow a bubble with her toes.

Anonymous said...

Ok if you are going to reveal information, you must be extremely accurate. Did the Home Run clear the fence or was it an inside the park job? Either one is fantastic but purists and enquiring minds want to know....

Conference Speaker

Anonymous said...

Portal to portal is a Dad phrase.
Does that frighten you? You have his feet. You use his phrases. How's your hairline doing these days?

Happy Father's Day, Dad!

KW

CYNTHIA said...

well I'm pretty sure I would have typed, "over-the-fence homerun" had it been such. But fyi, it was a sharply hit ball b/t first and second base that made it to the fence. Clay says he would have scored it a 4 base E4. Nevertheless, Brandon beat the throw to the plate and came up with fists pumping. It was precious, indeed. AND, since you're probably a blog purist as well, you'll probably enjoy this information: I'm fairly certain the other comment was made by Oxford PhD LA, because he says, "dudes" and was itching to comment when we left them last night.

Anonymous said...

A reunion and we weren't invited? Oh well, K&Kids have nighttime VBS and I just got back from Seguin picking up J-Jo from Girls State so we couldn't have made it over anyway.

As for commentors who don't post their tagline, I only have one word - amateur.

Conference Speaker

Anonymous said...

Way to go Brandon! A home run is a home run...is a home run...is a home run! Sorry we missed it.

Mimi & Pappy

Anonymous said...

Re: Mr. & Mrs. Smith:
Possibly the most wasted two hours of my life. I hated it!
M

CYNTHIA said...

worse than shark boy and lava girl?

Anonymous said...

They come in nose to nose.