Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Parenting 101: Eavesdropping

I forgot to mention that my favorite part of my little trip to The Woodlands last week was when Lisa and I took Brandon, Brent, Zach, and Abby on a bike ride through the trails that I OWNED in my youth. I was very much like my dad as I made them stop to hear stories about each memorable marking-place. One interesting tid-bit that I learned, however, came when I overheard Brandon and Brent discussing girls over their ice-cream cones. I walked out of Baskin-Robbins just in time to hear Brent say, "She's h-o-t?" (I guess he thought that maybe I can't spell very well.) So of course I had to get in on the conversation and ended up giving a mini-lesson on 1 Samuel 16:7. Whew. I thought I had a few more years before we had to deal with "hot".

A friend of mine once told me that it's very, very important, in parenting, to eavesdrop whenever the opportunity arises, and I'm finding that to be true. Since the "hot" incident, I have also learned that Abby has a "boyfriend". And she thinks that the feeling is mutual because, "I think I heard him say it." Anyway, she was ok with me knowing about the boyfriend, but at the mention of it in front of Clay at dinner that night, Abby burst completely into tears. I'm not sure what a psychologist might say, but I'm pretty sure that it's good for Clay and me. Abby couldn't bear the thought that her daddy knew there was another man in her life. How long do you think that might last? I don't know either, but you can bet I'll be one of the first to know......

Happy Eavesdropping,

Cynthia

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes. Parental eavesdropping! I remember it well. Nice thing about having an intercom. One can learn soooooooooo much. :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, a wealth of knowledge can be gleaned from parental eavesdropping...looks like you have discovered "the secret".
sh