Wednesday, March 23, 2005

exceedingly good fun

We're having lots of fun in The Woodlands this week. Yesterday, we rode a water taxi on the new Woodlands Waterway that has been built by the mall, up to the Pavilion and by other new and interesting places. It's still in the early stages of development, but I think in a few years it could be just as neat a destination and touristy thing as the Riverwalk.

Then we (me, my mom, Lisa, Brandon, Abby, and 3 of their cousins) went to see the movie Robots at Tinseltown, which is also right there by the waterway. I thought it was cute, but the kids LOVED it. It seems to me that animators, directors, writers---whoever it is that makes such decisions--have discovered that one really long, over-the-top scene with belching or flatulence makes it a winner. For the 10 and under crowd, the rest of the movie can rot, and they leave thinking they've just seen Gone With the Wind (pardon the pun). And who can really blame them? It is pretty dern funny.

After a night of sleepovers with cousins, today we've just hung around the homestead. After getting sweaty playing at a nearby park, the 3 boys decided to brave the way-too-cold-to-be-enjoyable water and jumped in the pool for a swim. Abby and Alyssa soon joined them, because they're the kind of girls who refuse to be outdone by boys. And swimsuits are really just a convenience anyway. Tom and Huck never needed them, right? I'm pretty sure that times like these will be fond memories they'll joyfully recall for years and years to come. When I think back to my own formative years, family get-togethers, and such, what I remember most are the times when I got to do things that exceeded my usual standard of fun. Like the times we were allowed to go out to the tank at my grandparent's farm all by ourselves to catch crawdads. Or the time my cousin taught me to skip a rock across that same tank....only I skipped a dried up cow-patty by accident. It floated, by the way. Or when we got to walk down to the 7-11 from my Baw-Maw's apartment building in Austin....by ourselves...to buy gum or candy. Or when Kendall and I got stuck in the elevator on our way back up to her apartment and screamed so loud that mom could hear us. So, you can see, I'm all about making memories.

Tonight we're going to eat at Double Dave's---I'll eat a pepperoni roll for everyone who is at this moment jealous of me...Clay, Stephanie A., La-shea and Scott, and all the Josefy's except for Sharon.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Gone with the Wind"...you are soooooo funny!

thesharester said...

holy cow thats a lot of pepperoni rolls you're going to be eating!

Anonymous said...

Wish we had pepperoni rolls...sigh. BJ

CYNTHIA said...

uh, yeah. that was a lot of pepperoni rolls. maybe even excessive.

Anonymous said...

mmmmm.... I can actually taste it right now