Sunday, March 18, 2007

Tour de Spelling Bee

Well I learned that when Lance Armstrong breaks away from the pack of bikers, he's actually breaking away from the "peloton", not the "P-E-L-E-T-O-N" as B spelled it. He was pretty upset when he got out in the 3rd round bc he'd spelled that word right before. I didn't even have it circled in his book bc every time I'd called it out he'd gotten it right. But maybe I called it a "Pel-oh-tawn" instead of "Pel-eh-tawn"...i can't really remember. Regardless, I think he learned to go a little slower and think more next time. And he IS planning on a next time. The 1st place winner was also last year's winner and she's done now, because she's an 8th grader. But I'm just going to go ahead and say something that maybe I shouldn't...it seems to me that he'll never crack the top 3 unless he suddenly begins to enjoy words more than the field of athletic competition. The words those top 2 had to spell were ridiculously hard and he wouldn't know them unless he started to pore over the dictionary or read grad school text books. But no matter, the whole experience was really neat, and he can now say that he's been a part of a live television production, in the newspaper, and on TV. That's more than I can say, because the cameraman apparently didn't notice how nice I looked.

I have more to say, so check back later this week.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

man, what a bummer....im sure the girl who won started out just like you, b-hop. keep at it. oh and congratulations on getting this far!
J*Rod

Matt & Bree said...

Maybe spelling bees should be more like basketball tournaments. Instead of one miss and you're out, the goal is to spell as many words as possible as quickly as possible. You get 90 seconds at a time and get varying numbers of points based on the difficulty of the words. Seriously, are spelling bees really fair?

Anonymous said...

I thought B was the best poised one there. He didn't ask to use the word in a sentence or ask for alternate pronounciations or definitions. He just got to business and spelled the word. I was duly impressed. And he was the best looking young man there. Way to go! Shawna