Friday, April 22, 2005

Never Evers

Wednesday night, Abby was upset that she didn't get to go to The Meal at church because she'd been home from school all day with a hugely gross ear infection. They were having breakfast for dinner, and Abby's a big fan. So I decided to make French Toast because I don't know how to make just a few pancakes. But I've never made French Toast before, so it was an adventure. I even had to call my mom (thanks) to ask how you do it. Upon completion, they didn't look all that great (apparently you're supposed to spray the griddle or something), but they tasted great. Now I don't want you to get the wrong idea...I can cook, and do it with greater regularity than probably many of you. It's just that I wasn't a big fan of breakfast until recent years(inspired by:
*AL's and my quest to eat breakfast every place that served said meal in the Permian Basin
*those chocolate chip pancakes we ate every morning in Colorado two summers ago
*the previously mentioned chicken biscuit from CFA).

By now, you're probably wondering what is the point of this seemingly plot-less anecdote. Well, the French Toast experience brought to mind all the other everyman activities that I have never experienced. As a result, I feel the need to make a list:

*Some Stuff I've Never Ever Done*

1. I've never ever been to the circus.

2. I've never ever eaten Spam (SA used to call me "Silver Spoon" because of this one, but I will not cave in to such peer pressure)

3. I've never ever eaten grits (not even one grit, if there is such a thing)

4. I've never ever been out of the country (which I'm thinking should negate the "Silver Spoon" nickname. However, I have been to a lot of very cool places within the Continental U.S., but that's another list altogether)

5. I've never ever been drunk with wine (or anything else, and don't worry---I'm too old to be curious about that now)

6. I've never ever mowed a lawn (thanks to two brothers and a husband. Although once I took the handle from Clay and made a pass across the yard that made it look like #5 is a big fat lie.)

7. I've never ever been able to watch ballet without cracking up inside.

8. I WOULD never ever have had a funnel cake except that last summer at the Lamesa Drive-In (Spiderman 2) M. Palmer got wind of it and went and bought me one. (but I didn't like it. :-))

9. I've never ever been to a carnival. (that's different than the circus, right?)

10. I've never ever bought/owned a class ring (not high school and not Texas A&M, as shocking as that is)

Naturally, this list brought to mind a lot of things I HAVE done, so I'll have to post another list soon. I certainly can't have you thinking that my life has been boring.

8 comments:

CYNTHIA said...

but Clay just said that I did go to a carnival in Odessa. I remember it now, only I've still never ridden any carnival rides, so there.

Anonymous said...

Texas A&M...and no college ring?

Anonymous said...

Cynthia I am inspired that you still to this day can say that you have never ever been drunk... my goal is that 100 years from now I will still be able to say the same!

Anonymous said...

Can you expand on why you laugh watching balet?

KW

CYNTHIA said...

uh, yeah...later. Everyone, I'd like you to meet my younger brother, Kendall. [He's always been a pain like that. :-)]

Anonymous said...

Um, I think you probably have eaten grits. I used to make garlic cheese grits, and I'm pretty sure you didn't get out of eating them. However, garlic cheese grits don't really qualify as grits because they actually have flavor. :)

CYNTHIA said...

WHAT? How gross! well, i don't remember that at all. must have blocked it from my mind as a painful memory. mom- are you sure you made those for our family???

Anonymous said...

yup