Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Hall Monitor Extraordinaire

yesterday I was hall-monitor at the kids' school during TAKS. Can't really think of a less exciting job, but somebody had to do it. Apparently the testing folks are pretty serious about heading off all attempts at cheating because test days are somewhat like prison, as far as I can tell. The kids may not speak to anyone, not even in the bathroom (hence, the need for hall monitors). And that, in itself, is pretty funny to me because what elementary schooler is going to meet up in the bathroom to discuss answers to a test? Maybe I could write a movie script about that...The Perfect Score Goes 4th Grade. Anyway, at lunch time, the teachers must lock up the tests while students eat their (brought from home or sacked in the cafeteria) lunches at their desks...in silence. I put some funny riddles in Brandon's lunch and I'm not even sure that notes from parents are legal, but y'all know that I like to live on the edge.

Today, clay smuggled the next book in the Redwall series that Brandon loves in to his teacher. He asked her to give him the book after he's finished with the test. We have to stay a step ahead of the boy; had he known about the book before test-time, he would have rushed through the test to spend the day in the world of warrior mice. And, per my previous comments, who could really blame him?

Thanks SJ for sending my new phone the CTU ring. I am so cool now! Well, I'm off to draw thumb animals with Abberooski. But here's one for the road:

What do you call cheese that isn't yours?
answer: Nacho cheese!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK--you know you have me to thank for that awful day.
Who needs enemies with friends like me? heeeeeee

And let me just say....
I heard you were one of the BEST "hall monitors" we ever had. hee-hee

It's a crazy life we lead in the Texas Public School system!
You have now experienced some of the craziness in my life? Now do you see why I'm a "nut case"? Well--of course my job is only part of the reason.


thanks again for all your help
It WAS appreciated.
xoxoxo
La-shea

Anonymous said...

Hey on the "nacho cheese" thing . . now you know what to tell Brandon when the ump calls a "bad" strike - "Nacho pitch, Brandon! "Nacho nacho pitch . you don't have to swing if it's nacho pitch." You can even sing it to the tune of Macho Man by the Village People!

CYNTHIA said...

yep...i figured you recommended me for that lofty position! :-)