Sunday, June 10, 2007

Summer...it turns me upside-down

Well week 1 of Midlothian summer has finally arrived, though most of the state has already been in celebratory mode for a couple of weeks now. Thursday was the last day. Which is nice, since it has seemed for weeks now that we were, actually, out of school for summer but were dropping the kids off for some sort of day camp each morning. Now I don't have to feel guilty about letting them stay up past school-year bedtimes.

Week 1 starts off w/ a bang...B & A have Panther basketball camps put on by the High School, and for the evenings we have Summer Blast for A (the week formerly known as Vacation Bible School) and Welcome Week for B. Today some friends from Midland came to church and lunch w/ us and then we had A's piano recital. The recital was nice, and we got a laugh while reading the program...each child played 2 pieces. The girl before A played "How Great Thou Art". A followed that up with "Rubber Duckie". :-) The pieces were probably pretty close in difficulty, but, obviously, an ocean-like depth of subject matter lie between them. And the husband of the piano teacher talked a bit at the beginning about how much he's enjoyed hearing about all the kids and what they're learning. His examples of pillow talk included: "Did you know that Abby is pretty headstrong?" huh. who knew???

I don't know if I can keep up this pace AND blog, but i promise to give it a whirl. Also, I'm writing this summer. This is a first for me, as I have previously committed myself to absolutely zero work responsibilities while the kids are out of school. It's for next summer's QuickSource that is a companion piece to Explore the Bible for Adults (i knew some of you were wondering). I'm writing the whole quarter and it's on Acts, which I find fascinating.

The little girls are calling the house w/ increasing regularity. Even 5 times in one day. This is a challenge for us since C is youth minister and his job requires that he be nice to middle schoolers. But as long as we don't help B w/ his phone manners, I think the situation will resolve itself. It goes something like this: (while walking to the phone) "How did SHE get my number?" (i have a sneaking suspicion...) and,
(after answering phone) "What do you want?"

:-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm curious to know how those middle school girls respond...

CYNTHIA said...

Yes, I would, too. I may "accidentally" listen in to one of these conversations very soon.