Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Wear a WHAT???

Have you ever looked at a word and your brain just can't seem to decode it correctly? It happens to me from time to time, so I'm hoping I'm not alone in this. On Monday night the kids brought 3 friends to VBS. So I was busy registering them and when it came time to check off which craft class they would choose for the week, I read them off...."Gliders", "Scrapbooking", or "Wear a Bleee-art...wear a blurt...(then loudly and with foolish confidence) Wear a Blurt. I don't know what that is, so you might not want to choose that one." After I got them all situated and was walking down the hall my brain finally decided to kick into gear and it made my mouth say the words correctly aloud, "Wearable Art!!! It's wearable art!" Wow. But in my defense, the words on the card were printed as one word like this: wearableart. So you can see how such a mistake could be made.

Well the house is looking fantastic. Cabinets are in, trim work is complete and the bricking should be finished up later today. Tomorrow we go to pick out fixtures and stuff and then I think we'll be done with all our choices (except for landscaping, of course, which will be a long, costly, and arduous adventure spanning the next several years.) Next week, they'll paint. So our August move in is looking more and more do-able. Isn't that nice how I hyphenated that word for you so as not to confuse your brain?

Went to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory today. Say what you will about Mr. Depp, but he's exceptional at playing odd characters. I was a big fan of the first adaptation--Willy Wonka--but this one had some pretty funny stuff added in and I didn't have to sit through Granpa Joe and Charlie singing two painfully awful songs. And those Oompa-Loompas are dark brown, it turns out, instead of reddish-orange like those first movie-makers tried to make us think. I, for one, was strangely relieved.

Brandon's stitches are out and his face looks mostly normal again. Case of the mad terrier attack closed. Welcome Week (alternative to VBS for incoming 7th graders) is going swimmingly. Hope you're all having a fabulous week as well. Later.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just to make you feel better. KidVenture (day camp) week for our church. I'm a counselor. Our info sheets say something about taking turns for something at lunch time. The r and n are very close together and I make a fool out of myself asking why the kids need to take tums at lunch. I thought it was a calcium thing, everyone else got a good laugh. Feel better?
CG

Anonymous said...

My brain is used to such typos after studying the amazingly edited Welcome Week book. (Just kidding) While relieved that the Oompa Loompas are in fact brown, I am still quite disturbed by the attacking squirrels! *Brooke*

Anonymous said...

THE SONGS THAT GRANPA JOE AND CHARLIE SING IN THE ORIGINAL ARE NOT PAINFUL!!! Those two songs are ranked like 7 and 11 on my top 100 fav songs list... blasphemy

CYNTHIA said...

Well, I can give you "I've Got a Golden Ticket", but I won't bend on "Cheer Up, Charlie". I always fast-forwarded through that one. And then "Pure Imagination" stunk, too, but Willy sang that one.