Sunday, July 17, 2005

A Very Super Summer

Upon further review, I think that maybe our lives are just eventful...and that's the reason some fun things happen to us. Because in addition to the neat stuff, we seem to have quite a list of the other kind. Take this week, for example. While Clay and I were at Super Summer in Abilene, the kids went to Midland for the week. Brandon (who I'm beginning to think should perhaps be kept under lock and key for awhile) managed to get bitten in the face by a dog. He and his friend, P, had gone to a neighbor's house to feed the precious little Terrier. Said dog was already in turmoil because his owners were away on vacation and remodeling was going on in the house. Then along came the two well-intentioned preteeners. Trying to make friends with the upset dog, Brandon reached down to pet him and came up with a hole in his lip. The result? 4 stitches and a way swollen face.

Other than that, the week was a success. The kids had fun, Super Summer was...well, super, and I was even able to fit in some Midland time myself. The marketing job was fun, especially rolling around campus on our official marketing golf cart. I worked like a dog, though (and hung in there quite well, I must say--a question before the trip since I haven't exerted that much energy in at least the last 5 years). It was lots of fun to see the students (FBC and Crestview) at recreation and throughout the day in their Bible study and family groups, and the worship times were especially meaningful. Let's see, oh yes...food! Though the Hardin Simmons cafeteria was available to me every day, LDW and I snuck off no less than 4 times to eat at Rosa's. And since I had not yet met my Mexican food saturation point, I topped off the week with one last visit in Midland on Saturday. Excessive? Yes, but tasty and thoroughly enjoyable nonetheless.

So now we've arrived home and jumped right into Vacation Bible School. It's in the evenings, though, so I think we'll be able to get some r&r during the daytime this week. On Saturday, we're supposed to be leaving for Harlingen for the high school mission trip. We've got a group who is supposed to go over to Matamoros to do construction while the rest of us do soccer camp and other stuff through Buckner in Harlingen. It may end up being hurricane clean up, though, in which case the kids and I will stay here.

I think that should catch you up on life here (at least for the next day or two...)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew you would have a great time at SS. Maybe one day we can go together if we promise Clay we won't cause too much trouble! I hope Brandon's face is OK after the dog bite and stitches.
Shawna

CYNTHIA said...

yup, just one more reason why you and L should move on over to Midlo town and join fbc...

Anonymous said...

Girlfriend! Did we sneak off just 4 times? WOW! I'm getting hungry! Maybe we can check into buying a franchise for here?!?!? "Number 281, Number 281, your order is ready!" Man those sopapia and "hot" queso were good!! I feel a trip to Ft Worth coming on! I'm missing you!

Martha said...

I had a very similar situation with a friend and her neighbors dog (which she was feeding while the neighbors were out of town). The dog bit me on the finger (the face is worse!) and did not have a tag. So, the dog got put in quarantine and my friend was very upset with me...she figured her neighbors would be mighty upset. I left for summer camp the next day and was told that I might have to come home for rabies shots. I did not...the neighbors got home and produced the vaccination records.

So, look on the bright side...at least you didn't have to worry about rabies!