Saturday, June 07, 2008

Field of Stinking Dreams

While I'm enjoying the fun of twitter, some stories are simply too long to tell in only 140 characters. Besides, I go back sometimes and read my own blogs from the last few years and...you have to admit, that's some funny stuff. :-)

Last weekend C installed misters on the back porch and garage. It's a very cool (literally) idea, and not very expensive at all. But there is a problem and unless we figure it out the whole mister idea pretty much rots (again, i'm speaking literally). When the misters are on, it smells like manure on the back porch. It's disgusting. The garage misters do not smell this way, and so I am somewhat perplexed. Perhaps it is the pvc that came in the mister box that is causing the odorific problem. The garage pipe was purchased separately. I do not know, but he must figure this out because I don't care how hot it is. Cool mist on a hot day is even unpleasant when it smells like freshly laid cow patties.

Today, though, he's been on another project. He had a load of dirt delivered for his backyard chipping green. The Bermuda 419 will be delivered on Tuesday night, so he has until then to get it all spread out nice and even for his backyard play land. Even I have to admit it is going to be really neat. And the best part is that it is, as far as I can tell, the least expensive way to make all that yard look good and usable all at the same time. Maybe one day he'll get a reel mower so that he can putt after he chips. I'll post pics as it progresses.

Today, B worked out there w/ him for several hours, paying off his Zune debt. He's becoming quite the good little worker...dad, you'd be proud. He's also getting in a few hours each week this summer at the church - setting up chairs and stuff like that. He's learning what you always taught me...to do every job your best.

on another note, middle schoolers sure do party a lot these days. Both nights since school let out there have been big swim/cookout parties. And it makes me smile inside to watch him primp for such occasions. Who showers before they go swimming?

5 comments:

MNJ said...

Whew! Am I ever glad you are back to this format!

TW said...

While I'd like to take full credit for the work ethic thing, I've seen C and you work and I know better. But thanks; you just keep thinking that way. It does bring to mind some farm jobs at Dad's instructions but I'll let you off the hook for now.

Anonymous said...

Kendall. Kendall showers before a swim party...before work...before mowing...every time a 30 minute (at least) shower!

TC

PD said...

I agree. I am glad that you are back to blogging. I would have hated to scan the 140-word version of the rodent story. You fleshed this one out superbly.

As for middle-schoolers & showers--be grateful...I am about to spend back-to-back weeks at preteen camp with 4-6th graders who HATE taking showers...NICE!

Anonymous said...

Jared never showers.
:)
I love my bubby.