Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Making up for lost time

Texas is the hub of the universe. At the very least, it's the hub of all things southern baptist, proven once again to me yesterday and today here in Nashville. Normally when you're in another state and you introduce yourself, you don't bother with the name of your lil town and just sum it up by saying you live "near Dallas". But here at LifeWay, "near Dallas" isn't good enough bc virtually every Southern Baptist ministerial-type has lived in Texas at some time. So I'm pressed to say "Midlothian" and am surprised because 97% of the time the word is met with things like "I know EXACTLY where that is" or "7606-something" or "I know someone who lived there" or "Oh yeah...just up the road from Waxahachie". Get this...I'm conferencing with one writer who retired a year ago from LifeWay to Waxahachie and who attended the same Ellis County Baptist Association conference for which I led some youth leader sessions. I'm also conferencing with a woman who worked on staff with my longtime friend and current pastor, Bruce Prindle. I'm also conferencing with another writer whose dad is buddies with the minister at another church in Midlothian. it's the HUB, I tell you.

sidenote: it's funny what Tennesseeans (i guess the 3% that HAVEN'T been to Texas) think is good Mexican food. [Cynthia scoffs]

Here's hoping for a better flight experience tomorrow than the one I had on Monday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you :]

Anonymous said...

I need details on what kind of mexican they tried to feed you. KJ

CYNTHIA said...

it was a "really good" mexican food restaurant. i had fajitas bc the place was known for good fajitas. [cynthia scoffs again]