Monday, October 17, 2005

Name Dropper

An interesting little tidbit...while visiting with old friends in Orlando we found out that one of our youth workers from SOBC (who then worked as a stunt man at Universal) is now in California working on the set of Alias! (which, as you know, just so happens to be one of our fave shows.) Dave and his wife were (back in the day) very involved with the youth at our church and lived down the street from us. As we were leaving Orlando, Dave was headed overseas to work on The New Adventures of Robin Hood.
http://www.us.imdb.com/name/nm0605815/
Now, DM is the fight coordinator or stunt director or something for Alias and has won awards for his work on the show. I just found a picture of him with Michael Vartan on the web. very cool.

So besides all our theme park escapades, we spent some good time catching up with AK and her girls at the House of Blues. It was great to see them after so long! And thanks to TH (former youth) who set us up with tasty appetizers. Plus, we went out to our former pastor's ranch...L Bar J. You see, he married L Candler, as in Asa Candler who invented Coca-Cola. He was her great granddaddy, so they have lots and lots of land in FL. They've sold most of it to Disney for a wildlife preserve, but J and L still have 500 acres right off the preserve. Abby got to ride a horse and both kids got to drive a jeep. That was both encouraging and frightening, because Brandon drove it very well and responsibly and Abby drove like a bat out of Miami.

I couldn't help but notice, though, how different I am now than I was when I lived there. and this fact reminds me of a question that I'm thinking of including in some adult curriculum I'm working on. let's try it out on you- Which is better: foresight or hindsight? Why?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christi's comment says what I was thinking. Scary isn't it? Daughter thinking like mom.

We're glad you're home. Hope to see you soon. I know there are lots of pictures.

Sher

CYNTHIA said...

yes, and the rest of you people are the adult Sunday School class that enjoys a good lecture over discussion???? either way, your silence helped to answer my question. i'm rewording it for the purposes of SS curriculum....

Anonymous said...

Ok, I will take the other view because that is what some people do in those adult classes where very few people speak up.

If God has some very good plans for me, plans to propser me and not to harm me, wouldn't it be great to know those plans before hand? That way I could be more obedient to those plans and not impose my own plans on Him. When I interfere with my disobedience I then have to use hindsight to wish for an opportunity to correct what I already missed out on.

Oh and how do I get foresight? "Call to me and I will answer you and show you great and wonderful things that you did not know"

Just the other view...
Conference Speaker

thesharester said...

personally i'd rather see who i'm to become, i think thats a motivating factor, rather than who i've been. sorta like on a road trip, its nice to know how far you've come, but the pertinent thing to know is how far is left to go. i think foresight gives you hope and a focused goal. forgetting what is behind, straining towards what is ahead and such. i can't stand adult s.s. classes. youth group for life!!!

Anonymous said...

I like hindsight because there has been such a pattern to what GOd has revealed to me over the years.
If I had ever known ahead of time what the trials were going to be I don't think i would have wanted to go through them but on this side of them i can see how God wanted me to get to know Him better.KJ