Friday, January 25, 2008

Can I have a different spice, please?

There was no repeat champion of the Frank Seale Spelling Bee this year. B was ready to go. This morning he woke up and said in Nacho Libre voice, "I want to weiin!" He had studied, but sometimes it just doesn't go your way. He made it easily down to the final 10 of 35, and was smelling certain victory, right up until the point when the caller said to him, "cinnamon." My immediate thought was, "He knows this," since I had called that word out to him before and he spelled it correctly. But then my very next thought was, "OOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" when he paused with uncertainty and then asked for...a definition? And then a sentence? With B, if the spelling isn't out there in 2.3 seconds, it's probably not coming out right. I think he froze. And as he was standing there frozen, in my head I was begging for there to be a great disturbance in which they would feel led to give him a new word. A new spice, even....oregano, cilantro, cumin. But there was no great disturbance, and out came an unsteady, "C-I-N-A-MMON." His dream of a rematch with Amy Cho and somebody named Patel will not come to fruition, until maybe next year!

3 comments:

PD said...

I feel certain that had B asked for the etymology of the word, the correct spelling might have come back to him. Cho & Patel need to be thanking their lucky stars!!

Anonymous said...

Poor B...my own B(raden) competes in the WGMS spelling bee this week...he won for his class, having had a few difficult words before winning (primarily because the kid before him misspelled his 'winning' word the way he HAD BEEN going to spell it)...saved by the dude who put two 'n's in banana! Who knows, maybe he can take on Cho and Patel, battling for the honor of the Midlo B-boys! By the way, impressive use of 'etymology' PD!

TC

Anonymous said...

update...Braden went out with "protagonist"...pretty bummed, but another kid from church won, a 6th grader, so that is very cool. I will miss ya this weekend as I will be sailing the ocean blue! I'll think of you!

TC